Sunday, July 27, 2008

Travel Day-Rankin Inlet, Nunavut

I was up early this morning, about 4:30 AM. Not because I had a flight to catch but rather due to the unfamiliar surroundings.  If you travel a lot you know what I mean, bed doesn't feel the same, air conditioning noises plus the vestiges of sore throat.

This was the view from my hotel window at the Four Points Hotel across the street from the Winnipeg airport.  Sound proofing on these windows are incredible, woke to find several planes at their gates, yet I never heard them arrive.

Packing light and compact is the name of the game nowadays!  I have one checked bag and two carry on bags.  I carry a small backpack containing my laptop, cables, ipod, G9, travel documents, chargers and various cold medicines.  Did I mention that I am recovering from a major cold that I picked up while in PA last week.  The center bag is my new Think Tank International case and the blue bag on the right is my personal bag which is check.

I use this bag to carry my personal cloths and some equipment.  I bought this bag a couple of years ago at Costco and I find it very useful for this reason.  The bottom of the bag has a separate compartment where I can store my tripod and stands etc.

In this photo you can see the compartment I speak of.  The first thing you see here is a 5 in 1 collapsible reflector. The red and black articles are jackets I use to cushion the contents.

In this compartment I carry the following equipment. Tripod, one 8 foot stand, 43" collapsible umbrella, white translucent ripstop nylon sheet (silk), Justin Clamp, battery charger, grip equipment (black bag) and a sensor cleaning kit (gray bag on the right).

As far as camera equipment is concerned, let's take a look inside.  Before we do that, I want to mention that this is the first trip I've taken with my new Think Tank International bag.  I am very impressed with the quality of craftsmanship and attention to detail they put into this bag.

I'm carrying the following items in this case. 2 camera's (D2X, D300), 80-400 mm VR, 12-24 mm, 24-85 mm, 50 mm f/1.8 (love this lens), 85 mm f/1.4 (really love this lens), 10.5 mm, polarizer, 3 PocketWizards, (2) SB-800's, 8 spare AA batteries, WhiBal gray card, cleaning cloth and blower, a viewing Lupe, Lee Filter system, and a SC-29 cord.  In the inside lid of the case I carry 3 form flags/gobos for the SB's, gels for the SB's and 2 plastic foot stands for the SB's.  WOW  This case hold a boat load, and to think that it's the smaller international case.

I had planned on writing a bit about building and maintaining client relationships in this post but have decided to save that for later on this trip.  I've been told that they have internet connection at the man camp, if so I should be able to make a few posts.

I've arrived here in Rankin Inlet, managed to get out for a walk and a few pic's with the G9.  More tomorrow. DT 






>

No comments: