Friday, December 21, 2007

It Arrived One Snowy Eve...Late

I'm waiting for UPS to delivered my new camera. I ordered a new Nikon D300 a few days ago and I'm waiting for it arrive. I've been standing by my front door waiting for UPS to arrive, it's been snowing today which has delayed his normal arrival time of around 5:30 pm. I'm still not certain that UPS will arrive tonight, it's getting later and later.

My wife has dinner on the table, yet I wait by the front door in order to get a photo of the delivery for this post. If it does arrive tonight, I'll be forced to shoot at ISO 1600, which is at the extreme end of the scale for my G9.

We have all read the reviews of the new Nikon D300 and I for one am looking forward to shooting with it. I'll let you know my thoughts once I've had an opportunity to work with this beauty.

7:00 pm. Dinner is done and still no UPS, the latest Harry Potter DVD has been put on the "tellie" and I continue to sit at the island in the kitchen looking out the front door into the cul-de-sac waiting...

Since I'm waiting, I'll tell you that I ordered my D300 with the optional battery grip through B&H photo. I've been dealing with B&H for most of my professional career and I find them to be the best to deal with. I might mention that I am a member of NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) and my membership provides free shipping when ordering equipment through B&H. If you have not seen Photoshop User Magazine you need to take a look at it, if you join you too can receive their magazine and free shipping through B&H photo.

8pm: I fear that UPS will not arrive tonight, perhaps it's the snow or what ever. My wife just looked out the front door and shook her head, "There not coming tonight" she stated. I hate hearing that, she's usually right! You know how that is.

8:10 pm: I've just checked online with UPS tracking, it till shows that my package is still out for delivery. I know all of you have waited breathlessly for a delivery, you know what I'm going through!

I had hoped to have a UPS truck in this photo, I give up!
No UPS...

9:15 pm it arrived! WoW!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been in this predicament more times than I can say; staring out the window in hopes that the UPS truck will round the corner bearing gifts of great joy.

Alas, there have been those unfortunate times when the Scheduled Delivery date has been prolonged, and it always seems to happen at the worst possible time. Hopefully, your shipment arrived tonight.

Good luck, and happy holidays!

ingalbraith said...

hot damn!!!

i can't wait to see that big, beautiful three in screen!

Anonymous said...

Eagerly awaiting a 'present', how familiar. Luckily there is still very much of a child inside of us. Enjoy your new toy and a merry Christmas to all.

drmauro said...

ok guy, I've never read anything by you but, seriously, this is really crazy.. pro or not, everybody has the same behaviour waiting for new toys!!

great for you!

p.s.: here in Italy UPS doesn't deliver anything at 9:15 PM!!

happy holidays

Carlton SooHoo said...

Now that is a stunning low noise ISO1600 photo, woohoo!

Anonymous said...

David

What a coincidence! I got my D300 and the grip from B&H yesterday and I can't put that camera down. The grip is a dream - much better than the D200's grip. I am still testing the camera out - for low noise etc. The focusing is much better for sure. The large LCD in the back is to drool for! Love your blog and the YouTube clips I see through David Hobby's site. Keep 'em coming and I am interested in reading your review of the D300. Someone here called it a "toy" ... tsk tsk ... it's a "tool."

Seshu

Unknown said...

Hi David,

I wasn't going to buy the D300 but today I've changed my mind completely.

Went into a local store and spent only 5 mins with the D300 and am a convert. My review isn't exhuastive, not even close, but follow the link to some D300/D200 images taken in the shop under truly awful lighting...the high iso performance is astonishing.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d200/discuss/72157603519213778/

Will said...

Wow, so exciting! Maybe it will arrive on Christmas eve... Any reason (besides price) for choosing the D300 over the D3, seems like both are great cameras.

Merry Christmas to you & your family!

carlos benjamin - benjphoto.com said...

So your wife said it wasn't coming.....

Try not to rub it in.

Congrats.

Charles C Stirk Jr said...

David I am curious why the D300 & not the D3 ... ?

David Tejada said...

Why the D300 over the D3? Price is a big consideration however not the only reason.

For the type of work I do and the size of reproduction required of me, I feel that the D300 is fine. I am not so interested in the full frame aspect of the D3.

I've shot Nikon digital for quite sometime now and have gotten use to the X1.5 factor associated with x cameras.

After playing with my new D300 for a few days, I know I made the right choice for me.

Charles C Stirk Jr said...

Charles C Stirk Jr said...

David Thanks for the explamation ...

Though I do a lot less exterior then you but more interior architecture work

We do similar sorts work ... & I to have "gotten use to the X1.5 factor associated with x cameras." as well

I am looking forward to a full frame replacment for the kodak .. but I am not feeling the über need to upgrade from the D2x ...