Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Saudi Portrait



Over the past several days, I've been editing down all my images shot over the past few months. I started with my Costa Rica trip I did for the Mentor Series, and I've just about completed my images from Saudi Arabia.

The portrait shown above was shot on the first day of my SSBR workshop. This portrait ended up requiring 3 lights to complete. I used 3 SB-800 strobes, the key light was an Octabox (about 57") places close to the subject, camera left, a rim light (SB with a CTO gel, fitted with a set of barndoors) placed to the right rear of the set. The final strobe was laying on the ground aimed at the folding screen which we used as a background. Here is a setup diagram for you.


My EXIF data tells me that I shot this with my 85mm f/1.4 on my Nikon D300, 1/250th of a second at f/2.8. The photo below show a bit of a change, instead of using a soft light source, we used a wide grid as our key light. You can see the quality of the light is harder, and that the key light is coming from the front right side.

In a matter of moments, you can offer your client two different looks. This is one of the many benefits I like about using small strobes, the ease of changing things up on the fly! DT

No comments: