Tuesday, April 14, 2009

San Francisco SSBR Results

Erik and I had a wonderful time at the San Francisco Small Strobes, Big Results workshop yesterday! The workshop was a sell out and it was great pleasure to meet all of the participants in person after exchanging many emails and comments on my blog. I would like to extend a very special thanks to our model Tim for spending the day with us.

The above photo was lit using 3 Nikon SB-800's all being held by workshop participants. Each of the strobes where fitted with black wrap foil fashioned into snoots and fired with Pocket Wizards. On a shot like this I would normally communicate with my strobes via CLS, however, during our workshops we have Canon, Nikon and other cameras being used so PW's are used so all can shoot.

I set my white balance on the camera to tungsten and made a base exposure which was about 2 stops under what the camera indicated. This base "under exposure" is my fill light, and the strobes are than added to complete the photo and direct the viewers eyes through the photo.

I'll have more photos and set ups to share from the SF workshop when I return home in Denver. In the meantime, we are headed to Orange County, CA for our second workshop of the week. Hope you enjoyed the above image. DT

1 comment:

eric said...

poor david, i am very sorry that you struggled with the canon strobes. you have all my sympathy; but what would be life without callenges.
eric