Monday, November 19, 2007

Ring Flash

I have just completed my DIY ring flash. I think it turned out great, plus the cost was less than $20.00 This flash was made with Home Depot materials, and things laying around the studio.

The main component consists of a 10.5 inch utility light made of aluminum and a 4 X 5 inch heating duct coupling. The mounting system is fashioned out of fittings laying around the studio. Small ball head, flash shoe, Bogen mounting plate from a flexarm that I had and small stud. Of course there is the red paint!

This ring flash is just another tool the have up your sleeve if you need it. This ring light is very lite weight, less than the weight of the PVC one I started to build before finding the parts for this version. I fire the strobe using the Nikon SU-800 command unit. The complete ring flash is comfortable to handle and as I mentioned earlier, very lite weight. One other great thing, it comes in any color you want!

Here is a close up of the parts I fashioned together for the mounting system. I'm going to be making another one for my intern and will be photographing the entire process.

The black gaffers tape is used to cover the rough metal joints between the heating coupling and the main dish. The diffusion material is made from a product I bought sometime ago from B&H. It is a heavy plastic type of material, we use to use this stuff when we made our soft boxes before there where commercial boxes available.

Thought you might enjoy seeing my new toy. I really don't have any plans on using it just yet. Kinda fun.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire.

Anonymous said...

Amazing... I've seen your blog for the last 3 nights and I must admit you're an inspiration...!
You've built the most interesting DIY Ring Flash I've ever seen!! =)
A simple solution with a great power...! =) Cool!!
Thanks for sharing that kind of information!!

www.flickr.com/camil0
www.olhares.com/camil0

Hugs!

Tim Broyer said...

No offense Mr. Hobby, but this one is far more appealing.

I've got half the parts lying around my shop already. Might be a good turkey day project.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Tim

carlos benjamin - benjphoto.com said...

David - Are you having to support the flash in the first photo or were you just covering the sensor (looks like control side is up.....)?

Any reason you didn't just shoe mount the flash and have it come in from the top?

Thanks,
carlos

David Tejada said...

I'm just holding the camera that way, it's comfortable and supports the little weight the strobe adds.

As for mounting the strobe on top: I think it would put undo stress on the strobe mount on the camera body. The strobe would have to reach to far forward putting that extra stress on the mount. Not willing to do that to my camera. DT

Anonymous said...

Impressive. Especially if the light is as even as it looks.

But I keep thinking about having the flash above shooting down into the bowl. And connecting the flash to the hot shoe with a system flash extension cord.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before.. =) you're an inspiration!! =)
I've combined your Ring Flash with DIYPhotography's Reverse Macro Ring, and Nikon D70s Built-In flash to achieve powerfull (humm.. I believe the right term should be "unexpensive!!") macro photography!!

I'll leave my Flickr link so you can see it and give me your opinion...

I haven't been able to post pictures of the camera itself, because I only have Nikon D70s, but maybe in the next few hours I'll be able to post it!! =)

Hugs!

João Camilo

Anonymous said...

I too have been looking over your design and I prefer to do a lot of things in my shop. I have seen another design similiar to this that used two flashes in conjunction. Would this be beneficial, or will just one suffice? With that asked, what would you suggest as a minimum GN for the flash?

Unknown said...

Thanks David! I know what my Sunday project will be:)

JVS
--
Nikon D3 Journal: http://jvsd3.bigfolioblog.com

Unknown said...

Thanks David! I know what my weekend project will be:)

JVS
-
Nikon D3 Journal: http://jvsd3.bigfolioblog.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry I speak very bad english. I will leave my coment in spanish. Maybe, one day you can translate. Llevo 20 años haciendo fotografías a nivel profesional para los más importantes medios de cominicación en España. Lo que he aprendido; lo he aprendido solo y a base de pruebas y errores. Un proceso muy lento. Siempre me fue díficil aprender algo de alguien, pues parece ser que las personas tenían miedo a una posible competencia. Yo nunca he tenido miedo a eso y siempre he enseñado todo lo que he podido a otros. Ahora, por primera vez veo este blog y quiero darle la enhorabuena por sacar tiempo y contar tus experiencias como fotógrafo al resto del mundo. Siento no poder escribir esto en inglés... tardaría demasiado y lo haría bastante mal. No creo que se me entendiera correctamente. Thank you very much for sharing.
Carlos Carrión
Fotógrafo
Madrid. Spain

hannahelaine said...

so...i followed in your footsteps and made my own. here are the results:


hannahelaine's diy ringflash

you are a champion!

Matt said...

This is great. I'm going to try to rig one up that periscopes the strobe via a mirror to the diffuser bowl so that my strobe gun can sit in the hot shoe. If it works out I'll link to some photos and tutorial